Q.

I am on a low residue diet, can I have items with modified corn starch? I know I can't have corn or cornbread.

I am trying to stick to this low residue diet as strictly as possible and don't want to eat anything I'm not supposed to because my Crohn's is severe right now.  Even this diet has me in the bathroom numerous times a day still.

Related Topics: Diet

A.

A low residue diet is one that is low in fiber and hard-to-digest foods.  Modified corn starch is used in food products as a thickening agent and is not the same as eating real corn.  I see no reason why you couldn't consume products that contain this ingredient.  If you are concerned, check with your healthcare provider. You also might want to see a registered dietitian as each person with IBD reacts differently to food.  You can ask your doctor for a referral or go to eatight.org.  Good luck!