Q.

What can my chest pain possibly be?

I am a 22 year old female and I have this sore feeling on my chest. I have smoked cigarettes before but I don't consider myself a regular smoker (I usually smoke like two every week). It doesn't hurt when I'm standing or sitting straight, but when I cave my shoulders in it will begin to hurt a little bit. When I twist my back (as if I were cracking my back), that's when it will hurt the most. The pain is bearable but it's uncomfortable and I'm beginning to get really worried. What could it be?

Related Topics: Chest, Pain, Smoking

A.
Sorry you're going through this. While you're obviously young to have heart trouble, that's always the first thing that comes to mind when someone complains of "chest pain."

In fact, if your chest pain begins to feel like a crushing or squeezing type discomfort that won't go away, you definitely should go to the emergency room.

However, I think the more likely culprit here is a condition called costochondritis. This is an inflammation of the cartilage between the rib and the sternum (breastbone) near the top of the sternum. It's quite common in young women. Several things can cause it, but it's not usually serious.

You probably should have this checked out by a medical professional, just to be on the safe side. But unless you're having other symptoms of a heart attack, I wouldn't run off to the emergency room. Just get in to see your primary care provider as soon as you can.

Feel better soon!