Q.

Why is my right eyeball twitching?

Started almost a year ago.  Very random.  It has gotten more and more frequent over the last few weeks.  Now its more than a few times a day.  No redness or swelling or tearing or any other symptoms.  I do have astigmatism, and when it does twitch my vision blurs slightly.  No insurance though, so I cannot even have it checked out til March.  Worried it could be something serious.  Would appreciate some advice.

A.
I'm sorry you're going through this. It's always scary when we have a problem with our eyes!

The first thing to clarify is this: Is it your actual eyeball that's twitching? Or is it your eyeLID?

Twitching of the eyelid is called blepharospasm and is quite common. It tends to come and go, as you described. It can get worse and more frequent from time to time, and then clear up for long periods. Stress, fatigue, and caffeine are common culprits of blepharospasm.

If it's your eyeball that's twitching, that would be more worrisome, to me. When a person's eyeballs twitch, it's usually both of them. If your eyeball, itself, is the problem, I'd advise you to see a doctor.

I realize you said you don't have insurance, but most communities have free or low-cost health care clinics. You could start by getting checked at one of those, just to calm any fears you may have about this situation.

I wish you all the best!