Q.

Teen with breast lump.

I am fourteen yeears old and I have a hard-ish lump on the inside of my breast. I know it is normal for teens to get lumpy breasts at times, but this is different. I also know that it is very rare for someone my age to get breast cancer. So, I am just wondering if this is something I should get checked out or what it could possibly be. Any insight into this would be really helpful! Thanks! 

Related Topics: Breast, Lump

A.
You are correct. It would be highly unusual (never seen it, in fact) for a 14 year old to have a breast cancer, so the most logical lump for you to have would be a cyst. Some can be very firm (fibrocystic mass) and many will seem to change in size around your menstrual period.
It would be best to have any lump or mass properly examined, so a visit to your primary care medical provider is indicated.
You are to be complimented for being aware of these changes.

A.
First let me say good for you for noticing this lump. Also, you're very well-informed for your age, which will help you better manage your health and wellness. Bravo!

You're right that it's not unusual for developing breasts to feel lumpy. You're also right that breast cancer is rare in your age group.

But you still should get that lump checked out.

For one thing, you'll have some peace of mind. For another thing, your health care provider can further educate you about what to expect as your breasts continue to develop.

I recommend you make an appointment soon with your primary care provider. He or she can help you figure out what's going on here.

Best wishes to you!