Q.

Serious question about a nicotine overdose.

Last weekend I smoked too much hookah and I believe I overdosed on nicotine. Sunday night I had a bad anxiety attack and shaking. It has gotten a lot better but today (4 days later) I still have anxiety over nothing (i feel that i'm going to die or i feel like i have to make myself breathe). I also have very bad insomnia (waking up 4-5 times a night) and I haven't been eating much. My mind is not how it normally feels and I'm scared that this is a permanent thing. Is there anything to help me?

A.
Nicotine is a powerful stimulant, and you can definitely get reactions. While your anxiety may be more complicated than just nicotine, it would obviously be best for you not to smoke anymore. There are medications that can help, but you will need to see your medical provider to have them prescribed. The effects of the nicotine exposure should be waning each day, so it is unlikely that you will have any permanent effects. Again, since anxiety can be much more complex as to the causes, seeing your health care provider would be advised.