Q.

How can I take feverfew without worrying about the side effects its going to have on my elavil?

My migraines tend to come when I am asleep. I tried the Petadolax herb (butterbur) for 5 months, only change it made was no migraines before and after my menstrual cycle. Other than that I still get the typical moderate-mild 4-5 migraines a month. Im on 2 types of medications, Elavil, taken before bedtime, and Topamax 2x a day (1xam, 2xpm). When my migraine hits my nuerologist has reccomended I take imitrex along w/ 4 aleve or maxalt w/ 4 aleve. PLS HELP point me in the rt direction.

Related Topics: Migraine, Herb

A.
I'm sorry you're struggling with migraines. So painful!

I'm confused about why you want to use feverfew when your neurologist has recommended you try sumatriptan (Imitrex) plus naproxen (Aleve) for your migraines. Did this combination of medications not work?

Feverfew is one of the few herbs studied for treating migraine, but the results have not conclusively shown it works. On the plus side, feverfew has not been shown to negatively interact with either Elavil or Topamax.

Sumatriptan has been clinically proven to treat the symptoms of migraines. If the treatment recommended by your neurologist isn't working, then I'd suggest you return to him or her to discuss alternatives that may help you find some relief.

Best wishes to you!