Q.

I am trying to stay away from glucose. I need a food plan that doesn't have glucose.

Related Topics: Food

A.

It is uncommon to follow a low glucose diet as it is found in many carbohydrate foods and a true allergy is rare.  Table sugar, or sucrose, is made up of two simple sugars fructose and glucose.  Fruits and vegetables also contain both fructose and glucose.  Lactose, the sugar in milk is made up of the simple sugars glucose and galactose.  Glucose is also part of corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, honey and other syrups.

You may have been advised to follow a low sugar diet or low glycemic diet.  That would mean choosing whole foods without added sugars such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, unsweetened dairy products.  Check labels for words that are code for sugar such as maltose, dextrose, brown rice syrup, high fructose corn syrup, malt syrup, molasses, cane sugar, corn sweetener, raw sugar, fruit juice concentrate, syrup, honey and evaporated cane juice.  For more on hidden foods with added sugars, see this article http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/sugar-shockers-foods-surprisingly-high-in-sugar This article reviews a low glycemic diet http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/glycemic-index-diet

Always check with a healthcare provider when following a restricted diet.