Q.

when i swallow i sometimes get crackling in my ear......is this an ear infection or just wax please

Related Topics: Swallow, Ears, Ear Infection

A.

Ear infections (middle ear infections) typically cause pain, and often, fever. If you are not experiencing these symptoms, it is not very likely you have an ear infection. Crackling sounds in the ear can be caused by many things; When the Eustachian tubes (a tiny ventilation tube that runs from your middle ear - the area on the other side of your eardrum) equalizes pressure, you may hear a pop or crackling sound. Fluid (effusion) in the middle ear can cause crackling. Yes, even a wax impaction lying against the eardrum or a stray hair can do this. Less commonly, other middle ear and inner ear disorders can cause this sensation. The only way you can begin to pinpoint the cause is to see your medical provider or an ENT for a hands-on examination. Treatment would depend on on your diagnosis.