Q.

Can lumbar spinal stenosis it cause severe pain in your leg?

Related Topics: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Leg, Pain

A.
Yes, it definitely can.

Spinal stenosis refers to narrowing of the spinal canal. The spinal canal is a narrow opening within the vertebrae (bones of the spine) that allow the spinal cord to pass through.

When the spinal canal becomes narrow, it puts pressure on the roots of the nerves that run from the spinal cord to various body parts. In the lumbar spine (which is located in the lower back), the nerves transmit sensation from the legs to the brain. If a nerve in the lumbar spine is pinched, it can cause the legs (or a single leg) to transmit pain signals.

If you've been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis, your doctor should be able to treat your pain in the short term and suggest some ways to deal with the problem in the long term. I suggest you consult your doctor to find out what your options are.

I hope you feel better soon!