Q.

My lipase levels are 90; outside the normal reference range for Quest Diagnostics. How concerned need I be?

I also have high cholesterol, high triglycerides and 9.9 A1C. My greatest fear is pancreatic cancer.

A.
I'm sorry you're feeling worried about this. Let me see if I can help.

First of all, I'd strongly recommend you discuss your concerns with your doctor. He or she is in the best position to help get you on a course to lower your cholesterol and triglyceride numbers and get your blood sugar under better control. Diet, medications, and a support group can all help in that effort.

Regarding the result of your lipase test, specifically, I'm not sure why a result of 90 would get flagged as high. Usually, the reference range for lipase runs between 10-40 units per liter (U/L) for adults under age 60 and between 18-180 U/L for adults over age 60.

Even if your lipase results are abnormally high, I wouldn't jump right to a conclusion of cancer. Several conditions can cause elevated lipase numbers, including inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), gallbladder problems, and peptic ulcers -- just to name a few.

Your doctor is really the only person who can help you get an accurate diagnosis, but I hope this response puts your mind at ease a bit.

Best wishes to you!

A.

My Lipase levels were higher than that and it was because of gall stones. At first, it felt like I had gas that wouldn't pass. I had my gall bladder removed and within 3 mos., I was back to normal.

Next Question: