Q.

After finishing antibiotics for an infected pilonidal cyst, I still have some pain in the area. Is it still infected?

I'm just wondering if a pilonidal cyst can cause pain even when it is not infected. Or if the pain means there is still an infection and I should try another round of a different antibiotic.

Related Topics: Pilonidal Cyst, Pain, Antibiotic

A.
Oh, ouch! I'm sorry you've experienced a pilonidal cyst.

I'm not sure how long ago you finished your antibiotics, but they do continue working for some time after you stop. So, if it's only been a day or so, I'd wait and see what happens.

A pilonidal cyst can be painful even if it's not infected. Usually, doctors do not prescribe antibiotics for these cysts. Instead, they need to be drained in order to heal.

The best advice is this: If you're concerned about the cyst, you should go back and see your doctor again. Only he or she can examine the area to determine if the cyst has healed or if it needs further treatment.

Hope this helps!

Got Your WebMD Answer?

Next Steps: