Q.

Sometimes when i turn my neck sudden i get a very sharp pain almost like a jolt up the back of my head to my brain.

I have had this jolting pain in my neck for a few years now and it only happens every now and again, and only when im turning my head really fast. Then i get a feeling like a jolt of electricity up the side of my neck and up my head, it makes me feel blind and disoraintated for about 30 seconds. I havent really paid it much attention because after that it stops and dosent hurt, But i just recently had another one and it was the worse jolt yet, and its lingered in my neck now for a couple hours.

Related Topics: Blindness, Brain, Head, Neck, Pain

A.
I'm sorry you experience this. It doesn't sound pleasant, that's for sure!

Whenever a patient describes pain with words like "jolt of electricity," we tend to think in terms of nerve pain. Only a physical examination and perhaps some testing like X-rays or MRI can say for sure what's going on with your neck. That said, I would suspect you occasionally pinch a nerve when you turn your head suddenly. This type of neck pain can occur if you have a spinal disc that is slowly collapsing or if you have some arthritis in the vertebrae (spinal bones) of your neck.

While I don't think this situation is an emergency, I would suggest you get this checked out by a health care provider soon. Catching spine problems early usually results in a better outcome. You can start with a visit to your primary care provider, and he or she can get the ball rolling.

Hope this helps!

A.

I do that all the time...even in bed.  GO SEE A CHIROPRACTOR!  I wouldn't want to live without one since I started seeing one.  Usually, a quick adjustment to the neck is all it takes.  Also, ice packs to the area help with the pain.

A.
i am a yoga guru in India. Been in the field for 12 yrs. I also have been suffering from arthritis for some time , in the neck , hands and low back. Believe me I am not taking any medicine. I have been able to manage only with Yogaanasas, Yoga nidra or Corpe pose.You have to learn from an expert and not self learn. It is a good pain reliever. 
My website  is srimadhwayoga.com 

Yoga Guru