Q.

It is possible for a pinched nerve in the shoulder to have symptoms similar to a heart attack?

I went to the ER with what I thought was a heart attack (chest pain and numbness in the left arm). After two days of tests I was told by a cardiologist and a neuologist that I had a pinched nerve in my neck. I cannot find any relationship for the two. Is this diagnosis correct? I have since switched cardiologist. I go every six months for a check up and annually for a nuclear stress test. So far all is good.

Related Topics: Arm, Chest, Neck, Shoulder, Numbness

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
I'm glad to hear all is good, and I hope I can help set your mind at ease.

A pinched nerve in the neck can send pain radiating down the shoulder and arm -- and even into the chest area, which could indeed feel like the symptoms of a heart attack.

Presumably, you received an X-ray or MRI scan of your neck. This is usually how a pinched nerve in the neck is diagnosed. Pinched nerves in the neck are often caused by compression of a disk in the spinal column of the neck. This compression puts pressure on the nerve, which in turn causes the pain.

You're right that there's no relationship between a pinched nerve in the neck and a heart problem. It's just that the pinched nerve caused you to have pain that was similar to what a person feels when they have a heart attack.

Hope this helps!

A.
I had a similar case, but mine was from the T-11. The nerve bundle that comes from the T-11 wraps around the chest and will give pain signs of a heart attack. I had to gone to many Dr's and finally a student sitting in (they had just done the study of the T-11 told the Dr what he thought it was). I ended up having a bone spur, after they cut it out, I was fine. I would think this is where the problem was and not the neck. The T-11 is in the upper mid back, just below the shoulder blades. 

On a side note, they found an aortic aneurysm that needed to be fixed, said I had about 2 years or less.