Q.

Do you get migraines from prolonged playing games on a cell phone or computer?

My friend is on several medications for migraines, but I feel he may be causing these migraines because of his continuous playing of games on his cell phone and computer.   I just wondered if they had found any connections to this causing migraines.

Related Topics: Migraine

A.
Check out this information on Migraines that mentions some of the many triggers and how to identify them. What triggers migraines for you may be different than what triggers them for others.

This Migraine Triggers Checklist may also come in handy.

Have you been formally diagnosed?

The WebMD Answers Staff

A.

I have migraines, and staring at electronic screens is one of my primary triggers. If I overextend gaming time or internet use, I almost always end up with a migraine, regardless of medication. Your friend would do well to try and regulate his time on electronic devices (i.e. taking regular breaks, not using them for more than a set amount of time per day, etc.). Also, I personally found PC glasses very helpful with this problem. (PC glasses are yellow-tinted to block the blue light in electronic screens, which is thought to be the main reason the screens trigger headaches and migraines. However, they do tend to run on the expensive side.)