Q.

How can I reduce my iron levels?

My iron (per blood test) is 266. My doctor wants me to lower my iron. Is there a diet plan out there that will help me accomplish that? This is bewildering to me. 3yrs ago my doctor had me on iron because it was low. What can trigger it to be high now?

Related Topics: Iron, Blood Test

A.

Many factors can change your body's need for iron.  For example, going through menopause puts women at lower risk for iron deficiency due to the loss of menses.  Many times someone starts to take iron supplements and also increases iron in their diet, meaning they eventually get too much iron once their stores are repleted.  Here are some ways to decrease your iron intake:

• If you take a multivitamin, take one without iron
  • Check the label and eliminate foods fortifed with iron (e.g., cereals, energy bars, waffles etc.)
  • Lastly, you can decrease the amount of meat products you eat.  The iron in animal foods (heme) is better absorbed than plant foods (none-heme).  This article outlines which foods are high in iron http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods

Make sure you continue to work with your healthcare provider and check your iron levels so the other problem doesn't come back.  Seeing a registered dietitian can also help.  You can find one at Eatright.org.