Q.

can u get pregnant on the pill?

I have been taking the pill for 2 months now and my last peroid wasnt really a period. I bled for maybe 5 minutes a day for 3 days. could i be pregnant? I just started feeling nausea and im hungry but when i start eating I feel like i cant eat

Related Topics: Period, Pregnancy, Nausea, Hunger

WebMD
A.

The answer is yes, the only form of birth control that is 100% effective is complete abstinence. The effectiveness of the pill is very user dependent. Typically about 8 women out of 100 that use BCP's will get pregnant during the first year of use. However, when used as directed only about 1 in 100 women get pregnant. Remember, that this degree of effectiveness with the pill depends on you taking the pill exactly as directed and at the same time of day every day.

Abnormal or breakthrough bleeding is common during the first few months of use and its very normal. This typically is just an adjustment that the body needs to make to the newer levels of hormones. The duration of this abnormal bleeding pattern depends on the type of BCP you use and often can last much longer in women taking continuous dose pills.

To ease your mind, get a pregnancy test done. Many over the counter tests can detect pregnancy as early as 6-7 days before a misssed period. Also remember that BCP's don't protect against STD's, so if you are sexually active use a backup method like a condom.

A.

There is always a possibility that any kind of birth control, besides not having sex, will fail. So it is definitely possible that women can get pregnant while on the pill.

A.

it is definitely possible to get pregnant while on the pill, especially if you have only been on it for a couple months (your body may not have absorbed and reacted to the hormones at a "normal" speed)

You should take a pregnancy test very soon.

If it is negative, take one more 1-2 weeks later. If they are both negative it is possible these are just side-effects of how you react to this specific birth control. If it continues to be bothersome, or gets worse, go to the doctor. have a proffessional pregnancy test done and (asuming it is still negative) discuss changing your contraceptive method.