Q.

What if I'm taking metronidazole for a bacterial vaginal infection and may be 1 week pregnant? Will it harm my baby?

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Vagina, Baby, Bacterium

A.
Great question! You're smart to think about the medications you're putting into your body if you may be pregnant.

Metronidazole oral is not recommended for use during the first trimester of pregnancy. However, if you're taking the medication to treat bacterial vaginosis, be aware that BV also can be harmful to a developing baby.

I'd suggest you call a pharmacist to get an opinion about whether to continue this medication over the weekend. As soon as possible on Monday, call your health care provider's office and explain the situation. He or she will tell you what to do.

So, to sum up: Don't panic. Get a professional opinion from a pharmacist now, then call your doctor as soon as you can.

Best wishes to you!