Q.

Could I be pregnant 8 years after a tubal ligation?

I had a tubal ligation 8 years ago, I am 33 now. I had the tubal where they cut out a piece of the tube.  I am usually pretty regular in my cycle, I am usually around 28-30 days.  I am now over 2 weeks late. Could I be pregnant? I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative. I have had cramping many days in the last couple of weeks (thinking my period was coming each time, but nothing) I have also had mild spotting after intercourse. 

A.

It is not very likely if the tubal ligation was successful, however, there have been cases where the tubes have reattached after surgery or the surgery was botched, but this is RARE; very rare.  The tubal ligation is considered permanent sterilization. The only way to get pregnant after a tubal ligation is to have them surgically reattached or to have an in vitro procedure where a fertilized egg is implanted into your (healthy) uterus.

There are many other reasons, other than a miracle pregnancy, for an irregular or late period, so if you are concerned, you would need to see your women's health care specialist. Sometimes, just making the appointment is enough to trigger a (late) period!

A.
I don't really have an answer for you but I was wondering the same thing.I have had my tubes tied for 10 years now, however, my husband and I didn't have relations for over three years and I have had irregular periods for the last twelve years. We had relations on Dec. 25th and now I have been feeling morning sickness, tender breast, hungrier then normal, light headed, spacey, heartburn, hiccups, a swollen abdomen area and more emotional. I have also done 2 preg. tests and they both came back neg. Could I be preg.?