Q.

my dr told me i was in diabetic range, he perscribed me some medicaion and i refuse to take it.

i want to know what are the risks of not taking medicine when i am looseing weight and on a regular exercise plan.

Related Topics: Diabetes, Weight, Exercise

WebMD
A.
Getting your blood sugar under control quickly is very important. The damage to your body starts well before your blood sugars are in the diabetic range. That's why once we know you have diabetes (or even prediabetes) it's very important to act quickly to get things under control. Even once you start medicine, it's also very important to continue to work on your weight and exercise. It's wonderful that you're focused on that! Once you start medicine, it doesn't mean you have to be on it forever. Most people with diabetes can actually go off medicine if they get their weight down enough and make the right lifestyle changes. I would encourage you to discuss this issue further with your doctor as only he knows your health as well as you do. But it is important to get your blood sugar under control as quickly as possible and your best bet is probably to take the medicine as your doctor suggests, remembering it can be just temporary.