Q.

is it safe to use nail polish while pregnant

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Nail

WebMD
A.

Phthalates, which are found in many nail polishes, have been studied for a potential risk of causing birth defects. However, evidence does not currently suggest a connection between phthalates and birth defects in humans. But studies in animals have shown these substances interfere with male sexual development, so caution may be warranted.

To be on the safe side, you can use phthalate-free nail polish. Or polish your nails in a well-ventilated area to limit your exposure. Once the polish dries, there's little risk to your baby, since chemicals aren't absorbed through the nails.

Here's a great article on pregnancy-proofing your beauty regimen.

A.
I personally avoided most nail polish when I was pregnant. The story  below says to avoid polish with phthalates, which have been linked to birth defects. Look at the ingredients list on your polish to be sure. If you go to a salon and are not sure if they carry phthlate-free brands, take your own. Some brands said to be free of phthlates include Essie, Revlon and L'Oreal but remember to check the label as they come out with new types all the time. None of these links are definitely proven, of course, but why not play it safe until we know for sure?
http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/revamp-your-pregnancy-beauty-regimen