Q.

Can you get pregnant without having sex?

my liltte cousins swears up and down that she didnt not have sex, they were just "messing" around.  But yet she became pregnant and has now had the baby.  But she is still insisting that she and the boyfriend did not phyiscal have intercourse.  Can you talk about this please so I can tell her she is not fooling anyone!

A.

Unless a star rose in the East, your little cousin is not telling the whole truth. If that "messing around" included any penetration or ejaculation, it was certainly sufficient to cause of a pregnancy. Unless she inserted a turkey basting device filled with sperm or secretly had in vitro, she is lying or certainly in serious denial. Ask her how else sperm may have made it into her vagina, up her Fallopian tubes, and greeted a waiting egg? Sperm does not walk across the carpet, swim up a leg, circumvent the underwear, and seek out an egg all by itself. Let her tell her story. You know it is a bunch of baloney, but now that she has a baby, it would be better to focus on this new little life, than that little lie.

A.
There could be some truth to it.  Here is an article on Teen Sex & Pregnancy Myths that explain about pre-ejaculate.

I hope this helps.

The WebMD Answers Staff