Q.

I have a history of a high frequency of bowel movements everyday. On average I go three times sometimes more in one day

I have always seemed to have an active digestive system and problems with upset stomach.  It is coming to a point where everyday activities including work is being compromised.  I literally have to use the restroom 3 times during a single shift at work and most likely once at home.  Is this normal?  It makes it hard to plan activities at times and very uncomfortable at work.  

A.
I'm sorry this situation is causing you distress.

Normal bowel frequency can range from about three times a day to about three times a week. Bowel frequency is highly individualized. Since you have a history of frequent bowel movements, it sounds like that's the normal rhythm of your digestive system.

But it also sounds like the situation has changed recently, since you say it's now interfering with work. That means you should get checked out by a health care professional. You can start with your primary care provider. He or she can help you determine if there's anything abnormal going on with your system and if it needs to be treated.

Best wishes as you get this sorted out!

A.
Elizabeth is right! If its part of your history to go that many times in a day, then I wouldn't be too worried about it..I used to have to go only once per day and now I go 3x everyday...It was something to get used to so I totally understand how it can get in the way of work. I feel your pain but I've learned you have to be intune with your body and pay attention to what it needs. Needing to go is a basic biological need and no one is going to stop you if you gave to go!