Q.

Is being 4 days late on your period something to be worried about?

I have never been more than a day late on my period before. I was supposed to have started my period early Monday morning, and it is now closing in on Thursday afternoon. Usually I can tell a day before, or the day of, when I am going to start. But it feels as if I just ended, in a way. I am not on birth control, and my boyfriend and I use the pull-out method. If I do not get my period by Saturday night, should I take a pregnancy test Sunday evening?

A.
Couples who use the pull-out method for birth control often become parents. This is not an effective contraceptive technique since viable sperm leaks out in semen before full ejaculation occurs. You need to start using condoms 100% of the time, or another form of birth control that is known to be more effective.

With that said, yes, you do need to do a pregnancy test. If it is negative, repeat it again in a week or so.  Tests taken too early in a pregnancy may be falsely negative.

Being late for four days is usually not a big deal, but when you are not practicing an effective birth control method, this could end up being a big deal.