Is a 96.9 degree temperature normal?

Related Topics: Temperature

The answer is: probably, if you're an adult.

Body temperature readings can vary depending on how you take your temperature. For example, in an adult with no symptoms of illness, a 96.9 armpit reading wouldn't be considered abnormal at all. Even a 96.9 oral reading in an adult probably wouldn't be any cause for concern. A 96.9 rectal reading in an adult might be a bit unusual.

If you have symptoms of illness or have been exposed to frigid temperatures, then that's a whole other story. While most people run a fever when they become ill, certain conditions and situations can cause a drop in core body temperature.

Mild hypothermia is defined as a core body temperature below 95F. If you are concerned about low body temperature, especially if you are experiencing other symptoms, I'd suggest you make an appointment with your primary care provider.

This information only applies to healthy adults. Temperature issues are different for infants, children, and the elderly -- all of whom may be more susceptible to hypothermia.

Hope this helps!