Q.

Hi, I woke up with a red bumps on my left cheek. it doesnt look like acne. i was in the sun yesterday are they sunspots?

I am fifteen years old. i get pimples/acne every now and then... but this doesnt look like acne. Theyre red bumbs all over my cheek. they aren't itchy but my face feels warm when i touch it.. i dont have any allergies that i am aware of and i dont think i ate something that might have caused this. I was in the sun yesterday. do you think that's what caused it. Please help me. 
Thank you

-Sarah
Related Topics: Acne, Allergy

A.
Sorry to hear about this rash. How annoying!

Rashes are difficult to diagnose without a physical examination. It's certainly possible that too much sun exposure caused your rash, but it seems odd it would only be on one side of the face.

If your rash becomes painful and turns to blisters, and if you've ever had chickenpox, then you should be alert to the possibility this could be shingles. Shingles is a bit unusual in someone your age, but it's not unheard of. Shingles can be contagious, so if you develop the above symptoms, I'd advise calling your primary care provider and letting him or her know about your rash so he or she can determine if you should come into the office. Also, if you develop those symptoms, stay away from anyone who has not had chickenpox in order to avoid giving them the virus.

Chances are your rash is not serious and will clear up on its own. If it gets worse or doesn't clear up within a few days, I'd suggest you visit your health care provider.

Good luck to you!