Q.

Is it safe for my 9 year old son to take Melatonin (3mg) to help sleep? Most sites say not to give under 18 yrs old.

My wife is wanting to give my 9 year old son Melatonin (3mg) to help him sleep.  All I have read about melatonin is that it should not be given to children under 18.  It says it can cause nightmares, seizures, and other side effects.  I feel a different method needs to be approached and not use melatonin because of these side effects.  Is it safe for my son to take this? 

Related Topics: Nightmare, Melatonin, Seizure

WebMD
A.

Melatonin may not be safe for kids, so I wouldn't recommend giving it to him. It has been used in some kids in specific studies. However, children typically already have high melatonin levels. There is some concern that giving more melatonin could actually affect development of the reproductive system, so it's not recommended in children. First, you need to figure out why your child isn't sleeping. If you know why, then addressing that specific issue is obviously your best bet. If that hasn't worked, I would talk to your doctor before giving him anything to help him sleep.