Q.

How often should a person have an endoscopy? Had one 18 mo. ago --showed Gerds. Still have some heartburn.

Related Topics: Heartburn, Endoscopy

A.
An endoscopy procedure is performed on an as-needed basis. An upper endoscopy looks at your esophagus, stomach, and upper part of the small intestine. Upper endoscopies are routinely used to check for ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux.

If you were diagnosed with GERD, chances are your health care provider put you on some sort of medication to treat the condition. It's important to take that medication exactly as prescribed.

If you're continuing to have symptoms even though you're taking your medication, then you should talk to your health care provider again. He or she may want to change your medication or add another medication to help control your symptoms. Your provider may also want to repeat the upper endoscopy procedure to determine if you have other damage to your stomach or esophagus. It's generally considered safe to repeat an upper endoscopy after 18 months.

I hope this answers your question!