can the appendix grow back?

I have had my appendix removed back in 1989. I have had several scans, ultrasounds over the past few years that have indicated my appendix looked good. How can that be if it was removed? Is it possible it has grown back?

Related Topics: Appendix, Ultrasound

Well, that's quite interesting, isn't it?

The appendix is not an organ capable of growing back. In fact, the appendix isn't an organ at all. It's an anatomical structure, a tubelike sac that hangs off the large intestine where that structure meets the small intestine. Doctors and scientists are still debating what function, if any, the appendix performs.

So, to your question. First I would ask if you're positive your appendix was removed. In other words, was it taken out due to a case of appendicitis, or was it removed in conjunction with another operation. Sometimes, for example, a surgeon will remove the appendix at the same time the gallbladder or an ovary is removed. If that's the case, maybe you were misinformed about whether it really was removed or not.

If you're positive the appendix was removed, then I'd say someone is misreading the ultrasound image. It's possible they're seeing some fleshy tissue or fatty tissue and identifying it as the appendix.

Hope this helps!

I do not have an answer to this question, however in 2007 we discovered the appendix does in fact have a medical purpose, to redeposit beneficial bacteria in the intestines when needed (i.e. after a bout of diarrhea or when the immune system is compromised). There are currently studies to determine the correlation of appendectomies and crohn's disease.
Stating that we live in a clean enough environment to experience no problems without one is also a myth. Birth control, alcohol, nicotine, steroids, junk food, etc, etc all create a heavy burden on our digestive system.
 Don't quote me on this but i believe acne around the chin with red a red hue is a sign for digestive system problems, and many toxins further exacerbate our intestines faster than they can keep up. It would be interesting to see if a connection is made to immune system diseases and having appendectomies, however it would be the case of the chicken and the egg. Was the body attacking the appendix first and then spread to other parts of the body, or did having the appendectomy cause immune system diseases? Was it poor nutrition or bad genes that caused such a problem?

There is also medical purpose for tonsils, as well as wisdom teeth, as well as your frontal lobe. 
Lastly I hear up to 28% of the time appendixes are removed prematurely.
We at one point believed removing excessive amounts of blood would heal an illness. we also at one point blew nicotine smoke up a persons rectum. Don't believe everything an "expert" tells you. It is a science because we know only a scratch. Many illnesses are caused by behavioral trends of a society.

Source: Due to this as well as my own adolescent idiocy I now have serious digestive system and brain issues and have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours researching how to heal myself through diet to no avail.