Q.

can the appendix grow back?

I have had my appendix removed back in 1989. I have had several scans, ultrasounds over the past few years that have indicated my appendix looked good. How can that be if it was removed? Is it possible it has grown back?

Related Topics: Appendix, Ultrasound

A.
Well, that's quite interesting, isn't it?

The appendix is not an organ capable of growing back. In fact, the appendix isn't an organ at all. It's an anatomical structure, a tubelike sac that hangs off the large intestine where that structure meets the small intestine. Doctors and scientists are still debating what function, if any, the appendix performs.

So, to your question. First I would ask if you're positive your appendix was removed. In other words, was it taken out due to a case of appendicitis, or was it removed in conjunction with another operation. Sometimes, for example, a surgeon will remove the appendix at the same time the gallbladder or an ovary is removed. If that's the case, maybe you were misinformed about whether it really was removed or not.

If you're positive the appendix was removed, then I'd say someone is misreading the ultrasound image. It's possible they're seeing some fleshy tissue or fatty tissue and identifying it as the appendix.

Hope this helps!

Next Question: