Q.

Triamcinolone Cream and Fordyce Spots?

I have a pretty severe case of fordyce spots, and was wondering if Triamcinolone Cream would clear them up at all? Or what Triamcinolone Cream actually does, would it be okay to apply it on the penis?

Related Topics: Penis

A.
Great question!

I guess I'm assuming, first of all, that you've seen a health care provider and had this condition diagnosed. Fordyce spots, known medically as angiokeratoma of Fordyce, can be confused with genital warts (or vice versa), so you should get a professional opinion to make sure you really have Fordyce spots.

Fordyce spots are small, pale, painless, white or red bumps that occur not only on the penis and scrotum (in women, on the labia) but also can be seen around the vermilion border of the lips and even inside the lips. They are very common and entirely benign (in other words, they do not cause harm).

Fordyce spots are considered a cosmetic problem, not a disease to be cured. The only way to "clear them up" is with laser treatments, and even this is controversial. Most physicians do not recommend treating Fordyce spots.

I would not recommend using triamcinolone cream on your penis. Triamcinolone cream is a corticosteroid that is normally used to treat conditions such as eczema and contact dermatitis. Not only will triamcinolone not help clear up your Fordyce spots, but it could be harmful. Corticosteroid use on the penis can cause thinning of the skin, which could lead to injury. Obviously, you want to avoid that.

If you have not actually been diagnosed with Fordyce spots, please consult a health care provider. If you have been properly diagnosed, try not to let the appearance of your penis bother you. As I said, this condition is very, very common among both men and women.

Hope this helps!

A.
Triamcinolone is a bad idea. However the comment above me is somewhat incorrect, as though physicians would not necessarily recommend treating Fordyce spots, the author of that comment has no idea of how bad they are for self-esteem, mental health and your appearance in general. People who see them think they are an STD and they can damage your life severely. Check out OCM method (google it)