Q.

My husband had skin cancer and now has a cracked lip corner that's not healing. Could it be cancer has returned?

My husbandhad skin cancer.  He now has a crack in corner of mouth that has not healed in 3 weeks.  Can this be sign cancer has returned?

Related Topics: Cancer, Lip, Mouth, Healing, Skin Cancer

A.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's skin cancer. That can certainly be a scary experience, and you're wise to keep a close watch on his skin from now on.

The cracking at the corner of your husband's mouth probably is not cancer, but since he's had a skin cancer once, it would be a good idea to get it checked out by a health care provider. Often, cracking at the corner of the mouth is a symptom of perleche, or angular chelitis. This can be caused by a fungus (which can be treated by your health care provider) or by a Vitamin B deficiency.

However, the symptom you're describing could be caused by many things, including, yes, a cancer. That's why it would be best for your husband to be examined by your primary care provider. He or she can diagnose the problem and treat it accordingly.

Good luck to you!