Q.

How much protein should I take in daily after the gastric sleeve weight loss surgery?

Related Topics: Stomach, Protein, Surgery, Weight Loss

WebMD
A.

After gastric sleeve weight loss surgery, it's very important to get enough protein to help with healing and recovery. This is something you should ask your doctor as everyone is different. In general, most people need about 60 to 75 grams of protein a day. Protein is important for long-term weight maintenance as well since it helps you feel full longer. Due to malnutrition after weight loss surgery, some people may also lose some hair. Protein can help with that as well. But again, you should ask your doctor how much is right for you and also to get suggestions on the type of protein since it's important to get "complete proteins." That means all the amino acids that help make up protein in the body. Meats are complete proteins but most non-meat proteins are not. But if you combine certain proteins, such as rice and beans, you can get all the amino acids in one meal.