Q.

Why can't I open my mouth?

Last Monday I went to the school nurse at my university. Her first reaction to looking at me and my throat was strep. When she tested me for it, it showed I was negative for strep. When my culture came back, it was positive for Type C strep. She gave me a Z-pac and I was on that for 5 days. The pain became unbearable.

Related Topics: Mouth, Throat, Pain, Reaction

A.
My jaw hurt as well as my throat on the left side, but the pain soon subsided breifly. That Thursday there was hardly any pain but around 9 pm. there was so much pressure on my jaw that I walked into my house with tears rolling down my face. I tried a warm bath submerging my face and ears in the water because my ears felt like they were bleeding and being jabbed with needles, as they did when I went to the nurse the first time. I tried to gargle salt water, drink hot drinks, cold drinks, ice, heat pads, alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen, nothing was helping. Friday morning I woke my mom up, still crying because of the terrible pain, and she took me to a Family Clinic. I couldn't open my mouth enough for them to look inside but they did look in my ear and said it was fine, that it was pain from my throat. They gave me a shot of penicillin and 12 Tylenol 3. I've been taking the Tylenol 3 every 5 hours as prescribed and the pain never lets up. I don’t think the penicillin hasn't kicked in and it has been over 24 hours. My jaw is still causing me a lot of pain and I still cannot open my mouth!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!