Q.

How long can herpes go undetected?

I am in a 27 year marriage. I had one indiscretion about 8 years ago. I have never had an outbreak or symptoms. Wife has never been with anyone else. Wife now has genital sores that have been diagnosed as HSV-1 oral type. Could I have been a carrier for so long and have it show up to her now?

Related Topics: Herpes, Sore

A.
It is my understanding that HSV-1 oral type is what causes fever blisters on your mouth. Tons of people I know have this and you can get it from kissing, sharing a drinking glass, sharing utensils,from sharing towels, etc - if you have blisters.

HSV-1 can be transferred to genitals if contact is made during an oral outbreak. Here's more information that I found: