Q.

If I cannot determne if I've had chicken pox, should I get the vaccine?

I was told it would be best to have a bllod test that can tell me if I've had chicken pox.  I don't want to waste time or money if this is not the case.  I am 61 years old. 

Related Topics: Chickenpox, Blood Test

WebMD
A.

After age 60 the shingles vaccine is recommended. Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. It's recommended even if you don't remember if you had the chickenpox because studies have shown that 99% of people have been exposed to the chickenpox virus. In other words, chances are you had it and don't remember. So, the recommendation from the CDC is to have the shingles vaccine and no need for a blood test to see if you had the chickenpox.