Q.

Can getting the flu shot raise blood pressure?

I have been monitoring my blood pressure for about 3 weeks now and the readings have been normal (110/75), but I noticed ever since I received my flu shot from a few days ago, my blood pressure has been reading higher (140-150 range/85).  Is this a side effect of the flu shot?

Related Topics: Flu, Blood Pressure

WebMD
A.

No, elevated blood pressure is not a known side effect of the flu vaccine. Other things, such as pain, can cause your blood pressure to rise. If your blood pressure doesn't return to normal in the next couple of days, have your doctor check it out.

A.
The standard answer that we have seen is "No". However after the experience of my wife last year we will not be getting flu shots again.  My wife, a 50 something RN got a flu shot in our GP's office during the first session of a standard 2 session annual check up. Her blood pressure was checked during that visit and it registered her typical lifelong pressure of 110/70. Three days later for the completion of the annual physical she was in the same doctors office and her blood pressure was 180/. First time it was ever recorded at anything over 120/.
It has continued to be an issue since at 130-150/.

A.

I am 58 years old and got the flu shot yesterday as it was offered at my place of employment; I had never received the flu vaccine before. My normal blood pressure is 113/60. Less than an hour after the vaccine, I was lightheaded, could not walk without assistance, and my blood pressure read 160/100. I was taken to the emergency room and stayed for two hours until my blood pressure returned to a more normal state. The doctor said it was an adverse reaction to the flu vaccination and told me never to get it again.

A.

I am on BP medication (Beta and calcium channel blockers) and my home measured BP averaged 120/76. However I had a flu shot a day ago when I had my BP checked hours later averaged 138-150/86-90 over three readings. I was concerned about this.