Q.

what causes blocked arteries? my mom has had stints put in but they still keep getting blocked.

I understand that smoking plays a role, but smoking can not be all of it. The doctors here believe that is all that is causing the heart attack and blocked arteries and dont bother to check for anything else.

Related Topics: Heart Attack, Artery, Smoking

Cardiology
A.
Blockages in coronary arteries are caused by inflammation which results in damage to artery walls and accumulation of cholesterol plaque.

We know that smoking, eating unhealthy foods, diabetes, and being sedentary are some of the risk factors for developing heart disease - genetics and family history play a role too.

It's important to focus on (1) what we can do to reduce our own personal risk and (2) incorporate medical treatment and lifestyle changes to prevent future events.