Q.

I am having weird chest pains and it feels like a tight knot in my neck and shoulder area.

There is a simular pain in my back, almost straight through from the front pain. I have not been doing anything strenuous, I don't think I pulled a muscle. I do not have a doctor and I am unemployed so a trip to a physician is out of the question.

Related Topics: Chest, Muscle, Neck, Shoulder, Tightness

A.
Whether or not you have insurance, if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you must go to the emergency room immediately:
  • A crushing, squeezing, or burning pain, pressure, or fullness in the center of the chest. The pain may radiate to the neck, one or both arms, the shoulders, or the jaw. The chest discomfort lasts more than a few minutes. It can diminish in intensity and return.
  • Shortness of breath, dizziness
  • Nausea, heartburn, or upset stomach
  • Sweating or feeling "the chills"
  • A weak, fast pulse
  • An irregular heart beat
  • Cold, clammy skin, or a gray color to the face
  • Fainting or loss of consciousness
  • Fatigue

These are the symptoms of a heart attack. My purpose is not to alarm you but to inform you so that you can assess your symptoms and make an appropriate decision about what to do.

Even without insurance, you can access health care in most cities. If you don't know how to access free or low-cost care in your area, call your local hospital or a crisis hotline. They will be able to provide you with resources for free and low-cost health care so you can get this problem checked out.

Good luck to you!