Q.

something to worry about? Colon cancer?

My husband is having an endoscope next week. He has has severe bloody diareha for years and he has massive swelling on upper left abdomen which started a few months ago. The pain is severe to the point where he feels as though he is splitting.In one month he has gained 30 pounds due to this mass on his side. He is 34 years old, I am very concerned about the symptoms. I know we will find out soon but I'd like to know how to proceed after the endo and do his symptoms sound indicitive of cancer?

Related Topics: Cancer, Swelling, Pain, Colon Cancer

A.
It's always worrisome when a loved one is experiencing painful, scary symptoms like your husband's. In fact, I always think it's harder to cope with these things when it's happening to my husband instead of me, don't you?

So many conditions could cause the symptoms you're describing. That's why your husband's physician is having him undergo an endoscopy. This test will help figure out what's going on so that you, your husband, and your physician can work together to put together a treatment plan. It's also possible the endoscopy is just one of several tests your husband's health care provider will run before making a diagnosis. It can be very hard to wait through all of this testing, but hang in there.

Meanwhile, remember to take care of your own health needs, too. As the caregiver, you're under a tremendous amount of stress, and you don't want to get sick. Be sure to eat right, drink plenty of fluids, and maybe go for a walk when you can. Try to get plenty of sleep. You'll feel better, and you'll be in a strong position to see your husband through this health crisis.

Best wishes to you!

A.
I know this must be really scary. The tact I usually take in these situations is that I try not to let my imagination run wild and not think the worst.

I am so glad that he is going to the doctor. I did see this article on Crohn's Disease. Thought it might be helpful if he had more of these sorts of symptoms:

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/crohns-disease/tc/crohns-disease-symptoms

I wish you all the best.