Q.

I got Chicken Pox at 16yrs old can I still get Shingles?

Related Topics: Shingles

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
Yes, you can. In fact, anyone who has had chicken pox can get shingles in the future. That's because shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox.

Like chicken pox, shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus. Once the virus has gotten into your body, it gives you chicken pox. After you've recovered from chicken pox, the varicella zoster virus lies dormant (inactive) in your system. If it ever re-activates, it causes shingles.

Shingles can occur any people of any age, but the rate of shingles increases as you get older. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about half of all shingles cases occur in people over age 60.

There is a vaccine available to protect people age 60 and over from getting shingles. If you do get shingles, your doctor also can treat the symptoms of the outbreak with various medications.

If you're over age 60, I suggest you talk with your health care provider about whether or not the shingles vaccine is right for you.

Hope this helps!