Q.

I do not eat sweets or sugary drinks. I exercise every day but why am I gaining weight?

I weight train 2-3 times a week and I do intense cardio 30 - 45 minutes every day. I just dont understand why I am still gaining weight.

Related Topics: Drinking, Weight, Exercise

A.

If you just started a weight training program it is possible to gain some muscle that may show up on the scale.  While exercise plays a role in weight management, so does diet.  So you want to take a look at your eating habts, not just in terms of what you eat but how much.  Research shows that some people compesate for physical activity by eating more.  Make sure you eat regular meals at the table, honor feelings of hunger and satiety and eat in between meals if you are hungry.  Make sure you include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein sources, low fat dairy and healthy fats.

It makes sense to see a registered dietitian (RD) for more guidance.  You can find one in your area by going to eatright.org.  An RD can help you make tweaks to your diet to help manage weight. Good luck!