Q.

what can you do for back pain do to the lung cancer

Related Topics: Back Pain, Lung Cancer

A.
First, let me say I'm sorry to hear you or someone you love is suffering from lung cancer. That's a difficult diagnosis to cope with.

It's not uncommon to suffer from back pain due to lung cancer. Please talk to your cancer doctor about the medication options available to you to relieve this pain. Narcotic medications ranging from pills to patches may be prescribed for severe pain related to cancer.

On your own, you might try a heating pad set to "low" for about 20 minutes at a time. Do not place the heating pad directly against the skin because you could get burned. Instead, place a towel between the heating pad and your skin.

If that doesn't work, you also may try an icepack. Again, no more than 20 minutes at a time, and never directly touching the skin. Sometimes, the combination of heat and ice helps relieve pain.

The best solution is to speak with your cancer doctor about how to deal with this. If the back pain is a new symptom, your health care provider may want to run further tests to determine what's causing it.

Best wishes to you!