Q.

I woke up with back pain and left arm pain, pain is mild now but arm still feels weird, should I see the doctor?

I woke up this morning from with pain in my back and left shoulder.  I tried taking ibuprofen and using a heating pad, but pain persisted and my arm began hurting as well.  I took benadryl so that I could sleep despite the pain and woke up feeling much better.  My arm still feels strange- mild pain that comes and goes and a little bit of tingliness.  I am wondering if I should see a doctor or just see what happens?

Related Topics: Arm, Shoulder, Ibuprofen, Vision, Back Pain

A.
So sorry to hear you're going through this. Pain in the left arm and the back is always concerning, in terms of whether it could be heart related.

If you are a woman, please read this article about the possible symptoms of a heart attack, which can include pain in the left shoulder and back, along with weakness on that side.

If you are a man or a woman and are experiencing any of these symptoms, please get checked out by a health care provider right away:

• Chest pain, discomfort or heaviness
  • Pain or discomfort radiating to the back, jaw or throat
  • Sweating, nausea, vomiting or dizziness
  • Extreme weakness, anxiety, or shortness of breath
  • Rapid or irregular heartbeats
Now, all that said, it's also possible you're suffering from a pinched nerve or muscle strain. Nonetheless, if the pain persists, gets worse, or if you begin experiencing other symptoms, please see a health care provider as soon as possible.