Q.

Why would oral steroids help with my lower back pain so well?

Had to take a round of very strong steroids for pneumonia,had a  side effect. my chronic lower back pain  all but disappeared! I have told my  doctor and my pain doctor and they said was sometimes steroids will make you feel better!? If I could take them for the pain would there be long term side affects? Right now I'm on 10/500 mg. Loratab at 6 per day and ,they really still don't get rid of the pain and I would think the steroids would be better. PLEASE HELP ME GET MY LIFE BACK!!!!!

Related Topics: Pain, Steroid, Back Pain

A.
Lower back pain is sometimes treated wtih anesthetic or corticosteriod injections (shots). Here is some information on how this works:

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/anesthetic-or-corticosteroid-injections-for-low-back-pain

Steriods are often prescribed to help with inflammation, and sometimes inflammation causes back pain. Here is a brief description of possible the side effects of long-term use:
http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/corticosteroids

Take care!

A.
Pneumonia is treated with antibiodics and symptomatically. When coupled with COPD or other inflammatory illnesses of the lungs, I have seen steriods given. But not necessarily to treat pneumonia alone.