Q.

My 4 yearold has a casein allergy, but has shown little reaction to foods containing whey and at time skim milk. Why?

Is it possible for him to have skim milk or whey introduced to diet and how so?

Related Topics: Allergy, Milk, Food, Reaction, Diet

A.

First off, whey typically contains low levels of casein but it is obviously present in the milk.  Children can outgrow food allergies so you want to see a board-certified pediatric allergist on a regular basis and keep him/her updated on changes in your child.  You also want to make sure food allergy diagnosis utilize a combination of tests (skin prick, blood test, food elimination etc.) so you get an accurate reading. The best thing to do is to visit a pediatric allergist to see if your child is still allergic to casein.  He or she can help you decide whether or not to start introducing products that your child has previously had reactions to.  Good luck!