Q.

I love oatmeal and I am a diabetic. Is it good to eat in a regular basis?

The issue is that I read that some doctors say that oatmeal is alright but you must be careful with it as a major part of your diet, but others say it is fine as long as it is not loaded up with all the "nice" things that make oatmeal so good, like brown sugar and raisans, which makes sense because of the high carbo content.

Related Topics: Diabetes, Oatmeal, Diet

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

The key for diabetes is keeping carbohydrate intake consistent throughout the day.  Oatmeal is a healthy, carbohydrate-rich food that is beneficial for heart health and can fit in a healthy diet. You want to work with your healthcare provider on how many carbohydrates you need in a day. The American Diabetes Association recommends 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal (3-4 carbohydrate servings). One half cup of oatmeal, without added sugars, contains about one carbohydrate serving (15 grams).  If you add to Tablespoons raisins, that is another carbohydrate serving. 

The benefit of carbohydrate counting is you have flexibility about what you eat as long as you stay within your recommended carbohydrate intake.  But choosing carbohydrates that are nutritous, like oatmeal (and other whole grains), fruits and dairy, is important for a healthy diet.  If you need help, see a diabetes educator for more assistance. 

For more information on carb counting see this article http://diabetes.webmd.com/carbohydrate-counting-for-people-who-use-insulin

A.
I am a type 2diabetic and eat oats every morning. one of the first things i was taught was to add a good fat or protein to a carb breakfast.  I eat 1/3rd cup of steel cut organic oats cooked in water, 6 oz. of almond milk, 1tsp cinnimon and 1 tbs. of almond butter. I also eat one cup of fruit but eat the fruit 1hr prior to the oats. This wait time allows the fruit to digest before the oats start to digest. I have been taught also to NOT eat a startch or grain carb together with a fruit as the stomach treats this combination by frementation during digestion. My blood sugars are norml eating this way.   total carbs for this meal is around 66grams which is high but eating this way negates the high blood sugars!