Q.

why does my skin itch when i sweat?

It seems that my arms, under my neck, my side and behind my knees itch extremely bad to the point where when I itch it tears the skin!  I just want to know what might be causing it!!!

Related Topics: Arm, Knee, Neck, Skin, Sweating

A.

There can be many causes for itchy skin, but one common cause that can occur in those areas would be atopic dermatitis  (eczema). Experts say that atopic dermatitis is not a "rash that itches" but rather an "itch that rashes", so itching is the primary symptom.  Of course, when these areas itch, you will scratch. This can create an itch/scratch cycle that can only be broken by: 1) take an antihistamine like Claritin or Zyrtec to control the itching. 2) reduce the inflammation by using hydrocortisone cream, and finally, (3) do your best not to scratch, especially to the point where you may break the skin. This will set the stage for a secondary infection, and make things worse.