Q.

How long does Pravastatin stay in your system after you stop taking the medication?

I am interested in becoming pregnant again. I have stopped taking my Pravastatin, and want to know when it is safe to try and conceive.

Related Topics: Pregnancy

A.
Kudos to you for recognizing it is not safe to take pravastatin (or any cholesterol-lowering medication) while pregnant!

Obviously, you should discuss your pravastatin use and your desire to conceive with your health care provider. In general, pravastatin has a short half-life of about two hours, which means about two hours after you take it, only half the dose is still circulating in your blood. If you completely discontinue pravastatin, it will gradually leave your bloodstream altogether.

There's no way to tell when the drug has completely left your system, and every individual's body eliminates drugs at a different rate, so your best bet is to have a discussion with your health care provider to see how long you should wait before trying to conceive.

Best wishes on this exciting time in your life!