Q.

Is it possible for spinal stenosis to cause vertigo or dizziness?

I have been diagnosed with early onset of spinal stenosis in my neck and other locations in my back. Recently I have been experiencing a vertigo/dizziness when getting up, laying down, turning. I am wondering if this is an indication that the stenosis is progressing. I currently am not able to afford insurance so I can not see a doctor to run the thousands of dollars in testing to tell me not much more than I already know.

Related Topics: Neck, Vertigo, Dizziness, Insurance, Running

A.

From an article on WebMD that I found:

If the spinal cord or nerves become squeezed, symptoms may include:

• Numbness, weakness, cramping, or pain in the legs, feet, or buttocks. These symptoms get worse when you walk, stand straight, or lean backward. The pain gets better when you sit down or lean forward.
  • Stiffness in the legs and thighs.
  • Low back pain.
  • In severe cases, loss of bladder and bowel control.

Symptoms may be severe at times and less severe at other times. Most people will not be severely disabled. In fact, many people do not have symptoms at all.

From this it doesn't look like vertigo is typical, but I would speak to my doctor. Here is the article if you want to read more:

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-topic-overview