Q.

How do i know if I have a kidney stone?

Related Topics: Kidney Stone

A.
Kidney stones usually show themselves through some specific symptoms, though they only way to diagnose them for sure is through one or several tests, such as a CT scan.

If you're having any of these symptoms, it's worth seeking medical attention:
  • Urge to urinate frequently, possibly with little urine output
  • Sharp pains in the flanks or lower abdomen, sometimes radiating toward the groin
  • Pacing the floor due to pain and the inability to find a comfortable position to sit or lie down in
  • Blood in the urine
  • Nausea and/or vomiting with the flank pain

These are the classic signs of a kidney stone, though other conditions can cause similar symptoms. If you're experiencing these symptoms on a mild-to-moderate basis, you'd do well to make an appointment with your primary care provider. If you're experiencing these symptoms on a severe basis, or if you find yourself nearly unable to urinate, then a trip to urgent care or the emergency room is in order.

Only a health care provider can say for sure if you have kidney stones. I wish you well!