Q.

Is it possible to get Gastric Bypass Surgery with Eosinophilic Esophagitis?

I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis and I am trying to get Gastric Bypass.  I was told by 1 Doc that I can't get it done because he doesn't know enough about the EE and might pose additional problems.  Any insight on this and has it been done before?  

A.
I can't find any studies on eosinophilic esophagitis and bariatric surgery (gastric bypass), specifically, so I don't know if it's been done before. However, the fact your prospective surgeon said he wouldn't do it should be something of a red flag for you.

I'd suggest you consult two or three other bariatric surgery specialists in your area to see what they say. You may find someone who has plenty of experience with the situation you describe and is willing to do the surgery, or you may find they all advise against doing the surgery. Then you'll have your answer.

As you probably know, there are many types of bariatric (weight loss) surgery besides gastric bypass. This WebMD slideshow goes over several types of weight loss surgery.

Good luck to you!